Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Feels Good to be ...

Forgiveness – What a glorious word!  Sadly, it is not always something I want to give but it is always something I want to receive.   When I think about it, I like to be forgiven, even when my apology is not completely sincere.  I may feel justified in what I did or did not do, but still I want to be forgiven.  Sometimes my wife and I have disagreements, and I know I am right!  There’s only one problem: she knows she is right, too! When two people are right, but have different versions of what ‘right’ is, the atmosphere is conducive for fireworks.  Most of the time one party eventually discovers they were wrong (usually me), opening the door for an apology from the person who was wrong.  However, there are some occasions where there is no proof of right and wrong, only strong opinions.  On these occasions I may apologize but not entirely (if you know what I mean).  I may be sorry for how I reacted, but not sorry I disagreed.  The need for forgiveness may not correspond with any change of opinion. Yet, in the words of a song by Eddie DGarmo, Feels Good to Be Forgiven.     

One of the looks or expressions of grace is found in forgiveness.  Eph. 1:6-8 says that forgiveness not only comes through grace but also is a sign of abundant grace.   Forgiveness is a free gift available to the whole world, but just like all gifts it must be received. Not earned. Not paid for. Not deserved.  Simply received.  Rom 5:17  For if by the one man's offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the one, Jesus Christ.     

God’s forgiveness is two-fold.   #1 We are completely released from sin and guilt.  #2  We are completely restored to favor and righteousness.  Our sins are not just forgiven, we are ‘the sons and daughters’ of God through his gift of grace.   We don’t act to be.  We are so we act.

Righteousness comes from within through the free gift.   

When we don’t forgive, we dispense ungrace to our world.  No wonder so much of the world rejects the church.  The church talks about God’s forgiveness, but often struggles to show or experience His forgiveness.   Not only does this make it difficult for our world to come to know Christ, but it also has a negative impact on the life of the unforgiver. Hebrews 12:15 (Amp) declares that when we fail to walk in the grace of forgiveness a  … root of resentment (bitterness) shoots forth and causes trouble... and the many… are defiled by it.   Resentment literally means to feel again.  

Unforgiveness ties me to that thing which I want to forget.  Unforgiveness contaminates my world.   Unforgiveness is like buried pain.   Here’s what Stephen Arterburn says about buried pain.  …Pain is never buried dead.  It is buried alive and must be fed every day… Many realized that if emotions are not resolved, their lives begin to revolve around those feelings, and they live in a constant state of pain, hurt, mistrust, anxiety, fear, and anger. Because they are not dead, the emotions demand to be fed, and feeding the feelings comes to dominate every area of life. Life revolves around their hurt, and they do everything in relation to their pain.

Under the New Covenant, we don’t forgive to be forgiven, we forgive because we are forgiven.  …forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. Eph 4:32  KJV   The grace of God forgives us and empowers us to express forgiveness three ways:  (1)  We proclaim the forgiveness of God to the world, (2)  We forgive the people of the world  (3) We forgive other Christians. 

The reason for three categories instead of two is because it has been my experience that Christians forgive sinners much more readily than other Christians.  Ministers who have failed are often forever ostracized by the Church.  Yes, many of them have betrayed trust and should be required to bring forth the fruit of repentance before they minister again.  However, how can they regain trust, if they are not forgiven and given another chance?  Too often we forget, if not for grace of God so would we be. One of the greatest ways we can dispense and display grace to our world is by forgiving other Christians.  The proof of discipleship is found in Christians loving one another (John ).   Every time we forgive other Christians, grace is released in our world. 

You may be thinking, I’ve tried, but I can’t forgive…. What they did was just too painful.  To which I reply, “You don’t have to be able to forgive”.  Grace provides a divine influence on the heart that strengthens and makes the heart able.  The only thing you need to do is be willing to forgive.  We supply the willingness, God supplies the ability.
 
Perhaps the best way to be willing to forgive is to remember: Jesus forgave me and paid a debt I could never pay.  In comparison to all that Jesus forgave, I don’t really have so much to forgive.  I once read, “He who has trouble forgiving has trouble seeing himself.”  

It feels good to forgive and to be forgiven!

No comments:

Post a Comment